Today’s wireless communication requirements are increasing the demand on 3G and 4G networks and the demand is growing faster than carriers can build out new networks. With limited spectrum available to them, carriers are always seeking new ways to deliver existing and future services.
WiFi offload allows carriers to leverage ubiquitous WiFi networks to supplement their existing 3G/4G services. These WiFi networks need to be able to support the same services that 3G/4G are used for, including voice calls, video calls and other demanding applications.
Carriers relying on WiFi networks face these challenges:
- WiFi is not capable of providing the same level of QoS that 3G/4G can– resulting in poor call quality and unsatisfactory end user experience
- Even if it is a 3rd party WiFi network that is at fault for delivering poor QoS, the carrier is always responsible for the poor QoE, as they are charging for the services
- WiFi is ubiquitous and convenient but can’t always deliver the quality end-users demand
- Signal strength issues, interference, noise and heavy demand make quality poor and inconsistent
- IPQ’s WiFi optimizers help to ensure high Quality of Experience (QoE) when carriers leverage WiFi offload capabilities through its WiFi optimizers.
IPQ from LiveQoS has two WiFi optimizers that work together to maximize QoE for key end-user applications:
Improves the throughput of applications like multimedia streaming and remote desktop access by modifying TCP’s flow control mechanisms to work better in WiFi environments
WiFi Smart Bandwidth Optimizer
Ensures that IPQ protected traffic experiences lower latency, lower jitter and higher throughput in both directions